How to Make an Appointment
You can book an hour-long, one-to-one appointment with a tutor using our online schedule (click here or on the “MAKE AN APPOINTMENT!” icon).
1. If this is your first time, click on the link above the login panel to register using your @risd.edu e-mail address. Then log in with the password you created.
2. Find tutors based on the areas they focus on (listed on the left under the date); if there’s no code, the tutor works on any area.
W = Writing
PS = Public Speaking
VC = Visual Communication
GWT = Graduate Written Thesis
ELL = English Language Learning
3. Click on any white box at a time of day that works for you. Pink boxes show others’ booked appointments, red boxes are your own appointments, grey boxes are unavailable times.
We recommend making appointments at least a few days in advance of any deadline so you have time to revise before your project is due.
Use the “next week” and calendar links at the top of the schedule to make an appointment later in the semester.
4. Fill out the short form that pops up and click “save appointment.”
Students may make one appointment per day and up to three appointments per week.
If there are no available time slots on a day you’d like an appointment, you can add yourself to the waiting list.
1. Click the clock icon next to the date in the upper left corner of that day’s schedule.
2. Choose a specific tutor, select time limits, or leave these options blank.
3. Click “join the waiting list.”
4. If another student cancels an appointment that day, you will receive an automatic notification; when you do, log in and make the appointment for yourself.
If it’s a busy week, you’re welcome to add yourself to waiting lists for multiple days.
If you are interested in meeting regularly with the same tutor, we can arrange weekly or biweekly appointments for you. Contact Meredith Barrett at email@example.com for more information.
We ask everyone to cancel appointments you cannot keep at least 24 hours in advance so that others will be able to sign up for that spot. However, we understand that emergencies come up, and ask you to cancel even at the last minute.
1. Log in to our online schedule.
2. Click on the red appointment box at the day and time of the appointment you want to cancel.
3. Scroll to the bottom of the window that appears and click “cancel this appointment.”
If you don’t show up to an appointment on time, it will be marked missed. Your third missed appointment will permanently deactivate your account and you will no longer be able to meet with our tutors. (Appeals will be heard for extenuating circumstances.) This policy is vital to our serving as many RISD students as possible.
Preparing for a Tutoring Session
Think about what you’d like help with and prioritize one or two things you want to accomplish. We can’t do everything in a typical one-hour session, so we try to hone in on what you feel you need. Follow-up visits, during which tutors review your progress, are encouraged.
For a class assignment, please bring the course syllabus, the assignment sheet, and any comments you may have received from your instructor already. For research papers, you should also know what documentation style your instructor prefers.